Friday 18 March 2016

Top 5 Overrated players in this year's Draft

Article by Ian Hughes


Every years there is a risk of drafting a Bust. A player that seems to be the next big thing, instant help, a future Hall of Famer or something like that. Then they get to the NFL and they just don’t perform up to that high expectation.

Here is my list of players that I think won’t meet the expectations of scouts.

1.       Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

Every year it seems like the next great pass rusher is hitting the NFL. This year, people are looking at Joey Bosa to be that guy. He has the frame. 6’6 and plenty of weight. But there are some little things on tape that bother me. Firstly, he rarely lines up against the best OT’s in the NCAA. And when he did play against them, he found himself blocked with relative ease. Secondly, He is and effort player. He doesn’t always look exactly smooth getting to the QB. Now I wouldn’t hold this against him, but for the fact he’s motor isn’t always running. Those 2 things are enough for me to stay away from this Top 5 ranked prospect.

2.       Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

There are Scouts out there that have Paxton Lynch as their 3rd QB in this year’s draft. This wouldn’t normally bother me. On a Draft board. There will be teams that will be high on this guy because of the potential. But 3rd? really. This guy could easily fail as an NFL QB. Footwork issues, Coming out of an Air-Raid/QB friendly system, lacks ball location… the list goes on. But all scouts see is what he could be. Not what he’ll likely be, a Career back-up that could never quite make it stick as a starter.


3.       Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

This is a feeling pick here at the 3 spot. Clemson were a very good football team last season and I feel like Alexander was one of the bigger winners when it comes to Draft rankings. He’s under sized, footwork is ropey at times and his production was very, very low. Zero INT’s in the last 2 years. I like to see production from corners, its shows ball skills and ability to be around the football. That and the fact he didn’t take part in the Combine workouts leads me to question what I might be getting from a CB that is expected to go before the later parts of the 1st round.

4.       Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

So, I have seen Mock Drafts with Floyd being selected inside the Top 20. I just don’t understand why. This guy is projected to be a 3-4 OLB but is built like a WR. Very Slim, little play strength. Looks pretty useless at setting edges and defending the run. When it comes to the Front 7, I put a lot of value in how many downs they can be on the field for. Looking at Floyd, I only see him as a Situational Pass Rusher. That limits his value in my eyes. And I don’t think he’s a going to be a great one either, so for him to be as high at #20 seems strange. Maybe teams see something else but he is a second day guy to me.


5.       Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State (If he is selected as a Corner)

I am putting Ramsey at 5 only if the team picking him thinks he is a corner. As a Safety, he is one of the best guys in the draft and would take him straight away if the fitted my organisation. But as a Corner, I think Ramsey will be a big bust. Has the size scout are looking for now, and is a great athlete. But he can be very stiff in close quarters action. Not very consistent with run responsibilities. He just screams to me as a Tree Safety, but with the value placed on a true shutdown corner, I won’t surprise me for a team to take a shot at him there and for it to backfire awfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment