Monday 25 April 2016

The UKFD Mock Draft Part 1 - Picks 1-15

Article by Ian Hughes


I have left doing a mock draft till late in the process this year. The main reason being, the later you leave it, the better feel you have for how it will all lay out. That being said, this is going to be my draft. If I were the GM for each team picking in the 1st round. So I don’t expect this list to line-up well with what will actually happen on the 28th. Here are my 1st 15 picks.
#1 (LA Rams): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St

The Rams need a QB, they made to trade to go up and get the best one in the Draft. To me, I like Wentz a bit better starting Week 1. He ticks the boxes and has the bonus of fitting the Rams system that will revolve around Todd Gurley for the next 6+ Years minimum.

#2 (Philadelphia Eagles): Jared Goff, QB, Cal

Another team that jumped to get a QB, and I won’t deny them that. Goff is clearly in the conversation for top QB in the Draft, and I think the Eagles would prefer him to slide as he could be the better fit in Doug Peterson’s offence that we expect to look very similar to Andy Reid’s west coast system.

#3 (San Diego Chargers): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

The Chargers end up with the hardest decision in the draft in my opinion. Tunsil or Ramsey? Tunsil wins here for me, mainly because I feel you can find a passable Safety to sure up a defence elsewhere. Finding a starting Left Tackle can be an ongoing nightmare. I am taking the tackle and keeping Rivers upright for as long as he wants to play in San Diego.

#4 (Dallas Cowboys): Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

Another tough one but for me it’s not so tough. I think we all know what Dallas want to do on Offence, pound the rock. So for me, they need to solidify the Defence. That eliminates the RB argument. It comes down to where on the Defence you think they need the most help. I feel you can find a quality DL player in the 2nd or 3rd, they are pretty set at DB. Myles Jack can start Week 1 for Marinelli. Can Cover and Tackle, plays the run well. Also a security blanket as Lee has had injury issues.

#5 (Jacksonville Jaguars): Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

Ramsey finally comes off my board. Personally I have him as a Safety, but his length and athletic ability has put him at the top of the Corner conversation. The Jags could do with an upgrade at either position. A FS to partner Cyprien, or #1 Corner.

#6 (Baltimore Ravens): DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon

The Ravens need help on both lines and Buckner is the highest rated guy left on my board. Big, Physical DL man. Will play the DE positon in the Ravens 3-4. Will dominate in the run and pass game, 3 down player that will never have to leave the field for sub-packages.

#7 (San Francisco 49ers): Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

This roster is in desperate need of help at more positions than a GM would probably like. I have gone for the Corner out of Florida. Hargreaves has drawn comparisons to a Corner that played for the current DC in Cleveland, in Joe Haden. Jim O’Neal has a background in the Defensive backfield. This seems to me to be a great fit for the coaches and the team.

#8 (Cleveland Browns): Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio State

Cleveland have dropped out of the big name picks after trading out of the #2 pick. This is where the saying ‘taking the best guy on the board’ starts to come into effect. Cleveland have a need at DL, outside rusher and WR. None of those players provide value at the #8 slot. So Elliot comes off the board to become a Bell Cow RB for a team that would previously done OK with RB by committee.

#9 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers): Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

It’s all about the Offence in Tampa. They need to start thinking about protecting their young QB. Stanley is my #2 OT in this draft. More of a finesse guy but has the opportunity to be a starting LT for a long time in the NFL.

#10 (New York Giants): Jack Conkin, OT, Michigan State

This pick makes all sorts of sense. They need a Tackle. Conkin can play either side of the line. Physical guy. You need to protect your QB and block for your RB. The Giants aren’t far away from being a quality Offence. There isn’t much value at taking anyone else.

#11 (Chicago Bears): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

My Chicago Bears… I have done them over in my own mock draft. They want an OT; I have already picked the top three. They want a Baller at FS, they were never getting Ramsey. They want an every down 3-4 DE, I have given Buckner to the Ravens. Time to take the best guy left. A lot of people will still have Joey Bosa at the top of their board with the current picks. But by now you’ll know I am not that hot on him. I am going safe with Jarran Reed. The guy plays the run and plays it well. Not much of a Pass Rusher, but there is plenty of that elsewhere on the Roster. (side note: I want the bears to Trade down from the 11th pick to garner some extra selections this year or next)

#12 (New Orleans Saints): Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Dodd is THE pick for the Saints. It needs to be Defence here. Could be Corner or DL. I like the DE position over the Corner at #12. I think Dodd is diverse enough to help the saints right away, with the football IQ to learn and progress quickly into a full time 4-3 DE.

#13 (Miami Dolphins): Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

I have 2 Tigers going back to back. The only real value to be found at #13 for the ‘Phins is a Corner. I have Alexander over some of the other because of his competitive nature and reactive. Just needs to play the ball a bit more to be a good NFL Corner. That’s before he tidies up his technique. Could be one of the best around in 4-5 years time.

#14 (Oakland Raiders): Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio

I would eventually take Bosa here. Oakland have lost Aldon Smith and gained Irvin, but I still thing the DL needs some work. Bosa will take one of the full time DE spots for the Raiders. Then move inside to DT in lighter sub-packages when they want Irvin and Mack rushing together.

#15 (Tennessee Titans): Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor

Tennessee I think would love to add some more Offensive pieces in the draft. Right now, there is no value for them at #15. So you look at the Defence and you see a hole at the NT position. Andrew Billings would be a great fit. Plays clean and is still raw. Physically dominant at the age of 21, I am scared to think what this guy could be with some quality coaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment